Friday, October 28, 2016

After the Cookout

You may have read a few posts from our time in Japan.  My favorite memory from that trip had nothing to do with waterfalls, or hot springs, or the interesting culture of Japan.  My favorite memory is of a cookout.  Yes, a very American-common cookout.

Our son David said that one night we were going to cookout.  I thought, this should be nice.  And it was. Together we built a charcoal fire- a bit more challenging doing it Japanese style.  We got the charcoal hot, and cooked some nice meat, which combined with trimmings produced a nice meal.

Nothing too unusual, but then came the treat.  After the food was grilled and eaten, Davey and I had a quite time sitting in the dark and discussing life, language and anything else that came to mind.  Brenda noticed us chatting in the dusk and then dark, and gave us some space.  How nice.

I didn't realize how much this mundane event meant until the opportunity came to do it again.  My enthusiasm for grilling out was so intense that I started the charcoal at 4:30 in the afternoon!!  What was I thinking?  I was thinking about the pleasures of sitting and chatting, and was anxious to get to that part.

David very patiently indulged me.  We grilled, ate, and most importantly, we had a nice quiet, not-so-dark after the cookout chat.  It was as good the second time as the first.

Who knew?   Who knew a simple after-dinner conversation could be so sweet.

It was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment