Thursday, May 11, 2017

What do you know now that you wish you had known at age 20?

One of my friends recently posed this question, “What do you know now that you wish you had known at age 20?"

It’s a good question and I like it because I am guessing most everyone has a different answer.   For example I am guessing us late-60 year olds will answer differently than 21 year olds.'

Have pondered the question a bit, I am happy to report that I have very few regrets.  G^d has provided for, protected, and guided me for these ensuing 47 years.  Here are a couple of things I am still learning but didn’t fully comprehend at 20 (or 30 either):

  • 1.     Plan for the future.  I don’t mean next year, or 20 years from now, I mean plan for eternity.
  • 2.     Invest in things with long term benefits.  I got a great undergrad education at the USNA, and it has paid off ever since.  I read Scriptures daily, and that has long term benefits.
  • 3.     Learn Spiritual disciplines like Prayer, Bible Study, and Fellowship and PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE! (See the one above).
  • 4.     Don’t sweat the small stuff, or the medium stuff, or the large stuff.  G^d is Sovereign.  When I look back now at frustrations and disappointment in the past, I can see G^d’s hand directing me and keeping me from some stuff… and NOW I’m glad He did!

So, one of my BIG disappointments is that I have made so little progress in becoming like Jesus the Christ.

Some readers might notice that most of my discussion is oriented towards spiritual issues, and not “practical” issues.  I HOPE you noted that, since I noted it too.  And that brings me to my conclusion.  In Matthew 6: 19-21 Jesus says (my paraphrase), “Stop being SO preoccupied with money and houses, and stuff.  Instead pay attention to your Spirit, to being obedient to what G^d is calling you personally to do.  Watch yourself.  Don’t focus exclusively on this life, for NONE of us is on earth very long.  From the beginning look to the eternal future.  Otherwise, the affairs of this world will totally capture your heart!”

So look ahead 40 or 50 years.  What can you do NOW that will make you happy then?  Hint, think in terms of eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment