Monday, December 4, 2017

Life Review: School and Sacrifice

My four brothers and I did NOT attend the elementary school for which we were zoned.  We went to Canton Elementary instead.

So what?

Well, my mother did NOT drive.  The School bus for Canton Elementary did NOT service our home, because we weren't in the school district.  This meant that our parents had to figure a way to get us to and from school every day.  And, this was more trouble than it might sound.

Regardless, why would our parents do such a thing?  In those days there was NO HOME SCHOOLING, and in our town, there were NO private schools.  So, because our parents wanted us to get the best foundation for education, they did what they could to get us in the best school available, Canton Elementary.

It paid off, I think.  My older brother got a four-year scholarship to the US Naval Academy, as did I. My next brother got a scholarship to a fine private college, Berry College.  My next brother didn't go to college, and my youngest brother went to a couple of colleges before graduating with a teacher's degree.  And that was all from a poor family before student loans were available.

Most of us have graduate degrees, some of us more than one.

Education, is a dangerous thing, as I have written before, but it can also be a very useful thing.

Thanks mom and Dad for making the sacrifice that gave us the foundation of education we needed.  And, thanks to all those teachers a Canton Elem.

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment