Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Church Congregations over these MANY years

My earliest recollection of church was First Baptist, Canton, GA.  I spent many a happy hour there singing in the graded choir program (I was terrible), and also on Royal Ambassadors, where our most memorable teacher was Norman Sosebee. Pastor W.W. Long came to our home and sat on the Living room sofa and shared the gospel, which I had already accepted.  I was baptized in fdirst Baptist promptly afterwards. We scarcely missed a Sunday attendance until I left for USNA, where I promptly joined College Avenue Baptist and was "adopted" by the Bausum Family who nurtured me, and fed me for 4 years plus the summer after I graduated and Brenda and I lived in their home whilst they toured the USA in their camper.

When back in Canton, Brenda and I attended Oakdale Baptist, Brenda's home church. We visited there again Sunday, and much has stayed the same, whilst much changed. Our pastor at Oakdale was Marvin Frady.

After getting orders to go to NFO school in Pensacola, we joined Fairfield Drive Baptist where our pastor was Preacher Bryant, who befriended us warmly and often invited us over to play dominoes. Although we were only there a few months, I taught a youth Sunday School class there, and Brenda sang a solo. When she sang a solo of "How Great thou Art", and the thunder truly rolled just as she got to that part of the lyrics.

"O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder


Consider all the works Thy hand hath made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed."   YEP- right on que!


In Rhode island we were in an American Baptist church. When we reported to the squadron in Patuxent River, MD, we joined Lexington Part Baptist Church. When we moved to Lexington, VA, we walked half a block to join Faith Presbyterian, a Reformed Presbyterian Church, where I was nominated for deacon. I spent about 3 months along with Charlie and Bob W. Chiefly those two guys watched the pastor, Fred M, argue about Calvinism and predestination. 

That brought us to Grad School in Athens, GA, where we were members of Faith Presbyterian, PCA. We loved it there and were discipled including Col. 2:7 Navigator discipleship--and those guys KNOW discpleship!

In Tuscaloosa, for our first 7 years we attended First Baptist Tuscaloosa, where we taught a peer SS class that was very close relationally. From there we moved to Houston and attended Bay Area Pres (PCA), and when we moved back to Tuscaloosa, we joined Grace, our home church since 1992. I was instrumental in hiring Fred Schuckert as our pastor, and then again in hiring Ben Talmadge. In New York we attended a Conservative Baptist Church, and in Sweden we attended an EFS congregation--an offshoot of the Lutheran Church. In Botswana we attended Open Baptist Church. In Lynchburg we attended Mercy Pres (PCA).

We have participated in quite a number of congregations. All have had strong and weak points--but all have been great in their own way.  Thanks be to G^d for His church--the Body of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment