Monday, April 15, 2019

Visiting Cheeseland

I (Phil) just got back early, early (1 AM) yesterday from ministry in beautiful Madison, WI.  I left home about 0540 Friday.  Thanks to the prayers of many, it was a smooth trip up. I worked on the finishing touches of one talk, read a book by Henri Nouwen (In the Name of Jesus) which I highly recommend. I edited a paper for an Egyptian research friend, and ate a turkey and swiss sandwich.

One of the thrills of my visit was when two of our UA former Ph.D. students picked me up at the airport.  "

"No big deal", you say.

Well, they drove 2 hours from Lacrosse, WI just to spend a bit under 2 hours with me, then drove back.  Wow!  I thought it was maybe 45 min away. Wow! We had a very pleasant visit and I got to hear from both about their first year of teaching as professors.

Our meeting went very well, but the biggest joy for me was meeting, and seeing again, some fine Christian faculty and staff.

To cathc my plane back, I had to leave about 20 min before the end of the conference. I made it through the beautiful RURAL countryside surrounding down-town Madison to the smallish airport and quickly got through security. I got some work done, and we departed on time (which has NOT be common lately) for Detroit. We landed in Detroit on time, as Delta proudly announced, then waited about 20 min or more to get to the gate.  That meant I only had about 10 min to make the boarding time for my flight to BHM. Unfortunately, We landed at Gate C23, but my departure was at A69-- which turned out to be a bit over a mile away. So I found myself running whilst dragging a carry-on and wearing a small backpack. After a couple hundred yards I noticed a young lady who looked to be in her very early 20's racing along too.  We ended up running most of the way together, but unfortunately her gate was 3 more gates past mine, and her flight a little earlier.  I hope she made it.

When I got to the gate, the other passengers had boarded already, but we must have sat another 15-20 min before the door closed. I was sweating for nothing, but I hadn't known.  And, I didn't know what lay ahead. 

More next post.

1 comment: