Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Memorizing Scripture

I have posted on this topic  before I think, but it has been on my mind lately. G^d speaks to us all, collectively through the Holy Scriptures, but He also speaks to us individually. In fact, I would say that when we memorize Scripture, G^d has a "land-line" to our hearts.

One small example in my life is Matt 6:19-21. "Lay NOT up for yourselves treasure on earth...for where a man's treasure is, there will his heart be also." This ENTIRE passage has spoken to me over and over. We in the USA are prone to accumulating "treasures on earth"... and we never have enough. I blogged about this a while back. But G^d has also spoken to me of late with Matt 5:10-12.

I have also thought and written about Luke 10, 12, 16 and 18. Someone recently mentioned meditating on Scripture. It dawned on me that having Scripture in my head makes meditation often convenient and productive. I am also pleased at how having Scriptures in mind contributes to conversations and analysis.

I have also written how sometimes I find it EAST to memorize when I have a purpose in mind for a passage, and how hard it is when I do not. I suspect this is different for different people.

So get at it. Figure out your style, then memorize some Scripture!

No comments:

Post a Comment