Thursday, March 28, 2019

Life Review: Lessons Learned in Moving- Finish

I am old, but you can teach old dogs some things if not tricks.

In moving I have done some new things. I have hung my first barn-style door. I have hung 3 ceiling fans, and though I have done that before, these required relocating them and changing the wiring-- new aspects to the task. A lot of what I have done has required twice, or maybe three times as long as it should have. Sometimes this has been my fault, other times not. But, it takes what it takes.

Here are a few lessons learned:
1) Take time to think, analyze and plan before trying to resolve problems. When I "sleep on it" i see more clearly and make fewer mistakes.

2) Pace yourself-- note that whilst I have learned this, I still fail to apply it. I have trouble slowing my pace, even at my age.  I feel it more when I over-do.

3) Hire things out- when your time or expertise are limited. Previously we did NOT have the funds to do this, but now more often we do.

4) An investment in time to ORGANIZE things pays off later in saved time. I need to repeat this to myself multiple times.

More things will likely come to mind, as we continue to unpack the last few boxes, but that's a start.

1 comment:

  1. I love your list...seeing how they were vital aspects for me over the past 40 + years...But what you say here in number two, is worth reiterating "the Knowledge of vs's the aptitude to apply" follows us humans, in seemingly all aspects of life...I think about Peter here...I will go with you!...The knowledge of God in the flesh..Jesus!...Ability to apply?...Not so much...But in Peter's case even though he wept bitterly in self disappointed this time...He experiences a little later in life, (the baptism of the Spirit) a power greater than self will...But your list is a wise one for the worker...number 5) might be safety!...Chairs do not replace ladders, and there are things you can't see, that will hurt (kill) you!....:)

    ReplyDelete