Sunday, September 13, 2020

Life Review: Inventions--or NOT

 Last night Andrew and I laser-sighted in a new scope on a rifle. We did it without ANY commercial products, except a laser pointer I use when I give some talks. I used an old Sears "workmate", which was a table-top clamp for working with wood. I bought in many, many years ago. I added to it some adjustable front feet, padded it with old blue jeans, and added an adjustable strap to hold the gun butt against recoil.

Last night, we mounted the rifle on the fabricated rifle clamp, and pointed it at a big pine about 20 yards away. Andrew took my laser pointer and shined it down the empty barrel--no easy task. I marked the tree with a reflector right where the immobile laser hit it. I then moved the sights so that the cross-hairs were right on the reflector. We shall shoot it soon to see if it worked--but it should.

I love being creative and over the years have fabricated several things. This summer we have experimented with a drinkable ice vest I invented. I discovered, by accident, that activated charcoal clothing absorbs odors. And, I invented an automated loader that places heavy objects on the back of my truck, merely by pulling forward 3 feet.

I invented my first climbing deer stand in about 1975 or 76. Subsequently, I invented another one that works as a movable seat up in a tree. I invented the safety harness I still use when hunting, and another that was built into a set of coveralls.

Most often, I used "junk" that I already have or find somewhere to make these creations. That gives me extra pleasure. I am currently thinking of an irrigation system for my flower beds, and so far I am up to about $40 on it. Commercial systems are very pricey.

G^d is an inventive, creative G^d.  As Kepler said it, "Thinking G^d's thoughts after him."

Thank you L^rd for creatively creating us!


No comments:

Post a Comment