Sunday, September 27, 2020

Overlooking the Obvious

 Remember that back in the spring we found a humming bird nest high in a pine out over the lake. We did our best to enlist someone to come take a photo of it for us. We were not successful and a storm eventually removed the nest. Today, 14 Sept Brenda and I had been sitting on the back porch sipping coffee, chatting, and enjoying the day. I was watching a hummingbird float around the pine limbs just above the porch, and there it was--a hummingbird nest!  Go figure.

I am guessing that it had been there since late spring. It might have even been there when we saw the other one. I recognized it, because I had seen the high-high one a few months back, and so I knew how they looked. That bit of familiarity helped me find the new, much closer nest. I tried to take a photo, but my camera just isn't good enough.

A raccoon had found our hummingbird feeder within reach last night, and so had peeled off two of the little plastic flowers that mark the feeder holes. We saw many hummers coming into where the feeder had been previously, then leave with disappointment clearly evident in their little faces.

But that mini-disaster had caused us to look around and see what ELSE the hummers were doing, and that led to our new discovery. Perhaps the DISASTER of COVID-19 will cause us, and many others to look anew at the things around us and discover a MUCH bigger gift than a diminutive hummingbird nest. Perhaps they will discover G^d, Who was always there all along.

Maybe we can eventually get a photo of this nest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment