Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Commencement Speakers

 If you look back on 5 June 2017 I posted a blog about why graduation speakers are NOT needed, nor necessarily even desirable at a University Graduation. Well, back in Nov of this year, I received a letter inviting ME to speak at the U of North Alabama Graduation.

Hmmm, I didn't have to think about it long. Sure. With COVID they wanted me to keep my talk under 12 minutes at the undergrad and grad commencement ceremonies of the Education and Nursing colleges. Because of Covid they divided commencement up into 6 different ceremonies, but I only had to speak at 2 of them on Friday night.

What an honor. I really, truly wanted to do a good job for them. I wrote the speech immediately knowing that it takes a LOT more effort to do a short speech than a long one. I studied UNA and consulted with one of my former students who is now an Associate dean there now. I focused on honorign the students, and congratulating the parents and professors who taught them. I also wanted to honor the UNA, and found that there mission statement had 5 points:

Be Innovative

Be Inclusive

Be Eager

Be Engaged

Be Global

I would end by challenging ALL of us to do those 5 things. 

I practiced far more than I ever have before.

So, stay tuned for how it came out...

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to how it came out. My commencement speaker was Jan Pauley and I have no remembrance of what she said.
    Neil

    http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete