Wednesday, January 6, 2021

How Following the Christ is like Deer Hunting

 I just saw two bald eagles. Before they flew practically right over me, I saw 3 red foxes out on their hunt for breakfast. Before them I saw two does each with a fawn, and before that a lone deer that was probably a button buck. In the past I have seen racoons, armadillos, lots of squirrels—both grey and fox squirrels, coyotes, bob cats, red and gray fox, crows, many species of hawk, wild turkey, snakes, wild hogs, some chipmunks, plus many beautiful sunrises and many beautiful sunsets. I have heard deer walking, squirrels scurrying, hawks screeching, owls hooting, buck deer fighting, and the wind blowing.

I am deer hunting most often when I behold the beauties of nature. Most non-hunters think the key pleasures of hunting are in the killing, but this isn’t true. Very minimal time is spent shooting but much more, much, much more time is spent quietly watching and listening. And, if you don’t enjoy that, you won’t be a deer hunter for long.

And, following the Christ has some parallels. You are often times waiting. Whilst you wait you can observe and listen and contemplate. And, like deer hunting, the action comes in very brief moments, but when those moments come, be ready!

1 comment: