Sunday, July 17, 2022

Sweating

Physical labor can be tough at my advanced age. When the heat index exceeds 100F, it can be even harder. I borrow a wood-splitter from my friend Steve, but my friend Mark had gotten lined up for it before me. So I talked to Mark and waited and waited…and waited. Finally he contracted COVID and called me to come get it. I wanted to get my stuff done and get the splitter back to him.

So I started early Monday. I worked all day Monday and sweated, and sweated, and sweated some more. I spent most of the day soaking wet from sweat. Tuesday I was tied up with meetings—which probably worked out well. Wednesday AM I started out and worked about half a day, quitting about 2 PM, and sweated quite a bit. Thursday I started and after a half day was too whipped to continue. Finally Friday we finished up.

I kinda wish I had measured my sweat rate and volume. I din’t but trust me, it was a lot. But I am happy to be healthy enough and fit enough to split about 3 cords of wood-pear and hickory in 4 days. It is also a real source of satisfaction


to see those piles of split stove wood.

That wood got it hot enough to pour sweat, and I expect it will warm me up more pleasantly than it did the first time.


No comments:

Post a Comment