Thursday, May 31, 2018

Caught off Guard by Blue Angels

Today (it's mid-April as I write this) was the Tuscaloosa Air Show. My wife and I have been out of town for the last several of these, so this is the first one we have seen in a while. The highlight for most folks in this event is the demo by the US Navy Blue Angels.

Brenda and I were at our granddaughter's 3rd birthday celebration, which coincidentally gave a pretty good view of the Blue Angels performing.  I won't try to describe their aeronautical skills, but I am guessing most readers know what I mean.

The weather was not good for airshows, in fact yesterday's show was CANCELLED, and it was an excellent decision. Today it was cold and the clouds were low. I am guessing that we saw a very abbreviated version of the show. The show's exciting conclusion was the Blue Angels and we watched the show as we could see it from our daughter's yard.

I was NOT surprised by their skill, I have seen them perform many times, as a US Naval Academy student they performed at all four graduations I attended there. Plus, I have seem them several other places, plus I trained in Pensacola which is their home base.

I was surprised by my emotional response to these brave young men and women who might be performing their HIGH level aviation skills for recruiting, but would soon return to "The Fleet" where it isn't airshows, but the enemy which will be faced, firing real bullets on both sides.

I am still not sure, what brought me almost to tears.  The skill, my background working for about 12 years with brave and talented young folks sworn to uphold the Constitution and protect our country. I was tearful about the HIGH level of skill displayed not only by these pilots but by many, many more, in all branches of service. Over the years I have worked in and with, the US Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and US Army. These folks, mostly under 40 years of age, are probably the finest group I have encountered in my 68 years.

I guess I cry easier than I used to.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment