Thursday, May 3, 2018

Life Review: Running Man Part IV

As I ended last post, let me tell you a little about running 106 miles per week.




I mentioned that my best distance was 50 miles. I had my greatest success at this distance.  The largest, by popularity, 50-miler in the USA was the JFK. I ran it, I think 5 times, maybe 6.  In 1978, I won the race in 6:14:59.  This was the peak of my running success. I also won the Runner's World 50-miler "national championship" around 1977 or '78, but I considered the JFK a much better achievement.  The Runner's World race was 200 laps on a 400-yard track!  Pretty boring.

In June 1980, I ran one, and only one, 100-mile race in VA.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your running career. I tried it once in my 20's. (more of a quick twitch guy)...But by the time I got in good running shape...(I was loving it) I got shin splints running 15th street, and keep running on them, until one day I set down about 5 miles from home. LOL...It took a while to recover...And I picked up other hobbies...The road bike has been fun the last few years...It gives me time to pray, reflect, repent..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEPPER! It is FAR more important to do SOMETHING than to find reasons to do NOTHING! Keep on peddling!

    ReplyDelete