Thursday, May 24, 2018

First Academic Year of Retirement

As I have written before, the academic life has a definite rhythm. Each term has a definitive start, middle and end. I also have remarked about retiring from this rhythm, this life, this culture, this career.

Most of my life has been in the classroom, as a student or as a teacher. Consequently, as I shared, the start of sixths academic year was pretty rough for me. I had never been retired before.

In a couple of weeks, I will have finished the first 11 months of retirement. I am happy, and happy to report, that I have made some progress in adjusting to the new normal.  The Spring term has been aided by the sheer volume of work to be done. I LIKE being busy, and these last months have met that need - in spades!

Brenda and I realize that many, many people would LOVE to be in the position that we presently occupy.  We have many, many blessings.  Thanks be to G^d!!

So, perhaps I have made this BIG adjustment.  As Coach Bobby Bowden used to say, "After retirement there's only one more big event left!"

And that's just fine by me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment