Thursday, February 28, 2019

Life Review: Bye Bye Toothy

My tooth #30 (3rd from last on lower right) has given me trouble for several years. Many years back- maybe almost 20, my dentist put a crown on it. In August 2017, the tooth became sensitive to pressure. It had come off a couple of times before, and had been glued back, so this was no big surprise.

It turns out, the tooth itself, under the crown, had some decay. My dentist sent me to an endodontist, who filled the cavity and gave me a root canal- for $1600!  Oh well.

Early in November just past, as I chewed the crown, now worth over $1600, came off once again, but this time the tooth itself broke off, weakened over the years, and especially by the root canal. Having a good bit of took experience over the years, I knew the general recommendation:  1) hire an oral surgeon to remove the remains of the tooth, 2) install a metal post in place of the tooth, and 3) put a crown on the post. Yep, this will cost $$$$.

I knew all this because my mouth already has several crowns.  My particular teeth are susceptible to cavities despite frequent brushing. Perhaps it is my love for sugar!

Another alternative, put crowns on #31 and #29 teeth- on either side of #30, and install a bridge.  this would save a little, only costing $$$. I knew this because it was done on the other side of my jaw. the problem is that the space under the bridge catches bits of food which irritate the gum. This requires flossing to remove, and flossing is great for dental, and overall health (check it out).

I had to do SOMETHING! The lingual edge of the broken tooth was extremely sharp, and I discovered that each time I swallow, the margin of my tongue rubbed across that sharp, sharp edge, causing some discomfort. The loss of the crown occurred just as we were leaving town for a week working w AIA in Ohio, so I had about 8 days of being without the crown--or 8 days of discomfort.

So as I suggested these two remedies to my very experienced dentist, he listened and agreed. I then asked the Phil Bishop question, "What if you rounded off that sharp edge, and left the gap where it was, sans tooth? Would #31 rotate or shift with #30 missing?"  After all, it doesn't have to last another 50 years, or even 30.

"Nope, it will not be a problem." the dentist answered. And, he didn't even charge me for smoothing off the edge of the tooth.

And, so far he is right.  And, he is right at a MUCH lower cost.

Did I mention, I hate to waste money?

No comments:

Post a Comment