Monday, February 25, 2019

Life Review: Humor in Teaching

Last year, I was talking to my Cru Faculty Commons coach.  I asked him to pick out ONE thing that I ought to change (I knew we didn't have time for the full list).  He didn't take long to come up with the recommendation that I not "try too hard to be funny."

Hmm, I didn't really see that coming.  But, I asked for the feedback, and took it, and thought, well, not trying to do this thing should be easier than trying to be funny.  But I relayed his advice to others who suggested the opposite- that I should continue trying (though not always achieving) humor in classes.

As I reflected longer and longer at my first friend's comment about cutting back on humor, I considered why I might be trying too hard.  The first thing that came to mind was my dear, deceased Dad. He was a lover of humor and an constant joke teller.  I have blogged before that as a barber, he had a whole new clientele in less than an hour, for as long as a 12-hour day.  As a shoeshine boy, I heard him tell the same jokes over and over, and heard him laugh at the 75th telling, as hard as at the 22nd.  So, my Dad is partially to blame.

But then I thought about my teaching as a Professor.  For many, many years, I taught each Tuesday and Thursday morning at that dreaded time- 0800.  Students do NOT like to take 0800 classes, but it was the only time my required class was taught.  But the subject matter of that class was even more daunting.  I taught applied statistics to Physical Education and Exercise Science majors-- at 0800!  If these folks loved math, they would have been in another major!

What I learned many years back was that in a math class for non-mathematics people, at 0800, ANY attempt at humor was greatly welcomed.  So, my schedule and my students also contributed to my dysfunction.

There is a LOT of sadness and depression naturally in our world. If a little lame attempt at humor helps anyone, then let's give it a try. Besides, I come by my fault for good reason.

What do YOU think about "trying too hard to be funny?"

2 comments:

  1. People laugh at me either way. I like it better when they laugh with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww..good ole self awareness...In this day and time where entitlement and one's self esteem has been made the golden nugget to protect....I don't here the word dysfunction mentioned much; especially when it comes to one's self....But, I have to be truthful and say that you are one of my favorite Sunday School teachers...If we moved the SS class to 0800, that might put a little more stress on my view of you!...Ha Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete