Monday, May 27, 2019

A Few Funerals

It occurred to Brenda and I a few days back that we are attending a LOT of funerals these days.  I think we have had 4 in the last 4 weeks. All of these funerals have been of Christian Believers, so none of them were overly sad, though clearly there is sadness at the physical loss of a friend.

Funerals are interesting. Often there is a summing up of the person's life.  The last lady was a remarkable woman who had a large number of descendants and many wonderful testimonies to her wonderful impact, particularly spiritually, on everyone around her.

I was pleased at the way that funeral went. A few years back, I wrote out my own funeral. With some obvious differences, I was pleased that my plan wasn't too different from hers.

I have been to a few funerals for non-Believers, and that is an exceedingly sad time indeed.  I have read several times lately the story in Luke 16 about the rich man and Lazarus who died. One of the take-aways from that parable is the reality and horrors of hell. Most of us, me included, don't give it much thought. Maybe if we did, we'd have a greater impetus to share the Gospel.

If you have no hope, if you think we die and then there is nothing, please seek out a Follower of Christ and ask them how you can have Eternal Life.

Because one of these days, a bunch of people will surely be attending your funeral.  And we don't want that to be an exceedingly sad time indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment