Thursday, May 16, 2019

Two Types of Sinners- What kind are you?

I was recently preparing to teach from Mark 6 about the beheading of John the Baptizer. As I was prepping, and praying and meditating, it occurred to me that John had gotten his trouble for a bad reason--at least that's my hypothesis. John was calling out Herod, a pagan, for violating Jewish law. Now, there is NO DOUBT that what Herod did was clearly wrong, from multiple perspectives, but as an unrepentant SINNER, what would you expect. In fact, as an Unrepentant sinner, I'd argue that Herod's sin was consistent with his unrepentant fallen nature. Sinners will sin, because they have an unchanged nature. There is NO POINT in criticizing an unrepentant sinner for sinning, any more than it makes sense to criticize a black bear for acting like a bear, or a cat acting like a cat. If the church would get that in our collective heads, we would be far better off.

Now I am a different type of sinner. I am a repentant sinner. I FIRST realized I was a sinner at a young age, and recognized that I, as a sinner, needed to repent, and NEEDED a SAVIOR. In my need I cried out to G^d, and by his GRACE and MERCY, because of the BLOOD ATONEMENT of our perfect G^d-man, Jesus the Christ, G^d forgave me and I entered into an eternal life of relationship with Him.

I still sin, and if you see me, you are OBLIGATED to bring my sin to my attention, and help me (Matthew 18), since any sin I commit is against you too, as part of the Body of Christ.

So, there are TWO types of sinners: Repentant ones like me, and UNrepentant ones. Please do NOT make the mistake of "casting your pearls before swine", because that Scripture already tells us, it can bring bad responses (Matt 7:6). Just ask John the Baptizer.

1 comment:

  1. This maybe your best post!...I'm sure I've said that before...But, this is my new favorite....

    ReplyDelete