Thursday, May 2, 2019

Gettysburg: Communicating "Above the Line"

I do a lot of communicating. At the Leadership Conference at Gettysburg, we talked about "Communicating Above the Line".  I like the thought, though not all that successful at it.

In brief, communicating above the line" means we devote our efforts primarily to communication about Purpose and Philosophy (above the line) rather than about policies, procedures and practices (below the line). If you reflect a bit, I think you will agree that much of the word from our work leaders, and most others concerns "below the line", with Purpose and Philosophy spoken of much less.

Communications, I learned in school, is a KEY to leadership.  I also learned that clear, comprehensible communication is more difficult than we assume due to the large potential for error. Every communication has:
1) A Message,
2) A Sender, and
3) A Receiver.

Errors can occur at any point. In my view, there were numerous communications blunders in the several battles that comprised the Gettysburg Campaign.  But, if can communicate clearly the Purpose and Philosophy, then those errors will be reduced in number and impact.

What was Jesus' Purpose and Philosophy? I think you can easily answer those. What was his "below the line" directions- He wasn't all that particular about policies, procedures and practices. Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. My struggles w/ Communications, Just because I know what I mean, does't mean others do!!!
    Jesus's Philosophy...Being one w/the Father...Purpose...Showing us, that he is the only way that can happen...So learn of me!

    ReplyDelete