Thursday, May 9, 2019

Ahhh, a Little Fishin'

One of the things Brenda and I had hoped for in our new home was water view and access. We had been looking for months, and at one point had made a deposit on a home, but felt so uncomfortable that we gave up our deposit.

We live reasonably close to a very large lake, Lake Tuscaloosa. Because of demand for lake-front property, the prices are very high. Too, many of these homes are 100 feet or more ABOVE the lake surface, which tends to make the views great, but the access more problematic.  We considered Smith Lake, where houses are much cheaper, but I hate driving which ruled out many spots on Lake Tuscaloosa, and all of them at Smith Lake.

G^d provided us a place on, what I call, Walden Pond (after Thoreau's book). It has a little lake/pond that I would guess to be about 5 acres. On two Sundays I had taken some/most of the grandkids fishing, but I hadn't got to make over a very few casts in trying to teach them fishing.

This past week, I had a morning free, so invited a friend, Craig to do a little fishing. The point wasn't to fish, but to fellowship together since we seldom get to spend any time together. It was an overcast morning with rain storms predicted at 11 AM-- a great situation for fish to bite.

Before we had even gotten in the canoe Craig had a strike. We launched the boat and Craig immediately started hooking small bass. After a few short minutes, I realized Craig, a skilled angler, knew what he was doing and promptly switched to a bait similar to his.

Craig caught a BUNCH of fish in the 2 hours we fished, and I caught some.  We wound up with about 40 bass of 10-12 inches.  But, most importantly we had a couple hours of PURE RELAXATION, enjoying G^d's creation.  We only saw one person during the fishing time, and got off the lake just as the downpour began.

Lake rules limit us to 4 bass.  And so Brenda and I enjoyed 6 of the 8 filets

at supper that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment