Thursday, May 7, 2020

No Good deed goes unpunished!

Yesterday , Saturday 4 April, I was driving home from working at a friend's when I looked over to my right and saw something off the shoulder of the road which caught my attention. I couldn't tell exactly what it was, but it looked vaguely like a body with an arm up across it's head.

I quickly turned around and went back to investigate. I carried my cell in my hand in case I needed to call 911. I approached and to my relief it was a very large- the size of a very fat 10-year-old stuffed cartoon character that apparently had blown out of the back of someone's truck.

What do do?

Wanting to serve my fellow man I determined I could NOT leave it lying, least someone else be fooled as I was. I picked it up, not noticing that it had a couple of tears. I guess the way I held it kept it from leaking its contents. I picked up as much trash as I could carry since I was on the road edge that bordered a church.

I threw the stuffed creature in the back of my truck, thinking I might let the grandkids see it. As I drove off, I noted white stuff flying out behind my truck. Oh no! I pulled over and arranged some junk to keep the white stuff from flying out, but it was really too late. There was a large pile of white, very light small pieces of some kind of Styrofoam.

I Made it home without leaking too much styrofoam into the roadway. But what a mess I had.

I got my trusty shop-vac which was really just a regular vacuum with a small dust compartment that held only a small quantity of stuffing. After about 30-40 minutes of struggling to clean up the mess which had now fallen out into the driveway I finally had this stuff corralled.

Well--lesson learned. I'm glad I got it taken care of, but hope that when our trash pick-up comes, they are successful in dumping our can without getting white foam everywhere.

Well... I guess I'd do it again--just more carefully next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment