Thursday, August 6, 2020

Disaster Part II

Last post I described and posted photos regarding my friend's major flood disaster of this motel. He lost 58 rooms, his check-in office, his business office, his breakfast area, his pool, his maintenance area, his workout room, his laundry area. Fortunately the 60 rooms on the second floor were spared, though not rentable because of the lack of an office and the huge mess on the ground.

As I mentioned, we were trying to help him salvage as much as possible. The room desks looked like they might have escaped, but we shall see in a few days of drying out. I suggested trying to save these along with the micro-fridges. Some of them had been loaded in the dumpster before that decision was approved, but we saved quite a few--that is if they will work once they dry out.

Fortunately there was plenty of storage space to put the lamps, fridges, microwaves, desks, and the few other items that we hope can be reused.

It was daunting to me. On my second day of working, Friday, I sought out the owner and prayed with him. I prayed that G^d's good would be visible in the midst of this disaster. The owner expressed appreciation for the prayer, but said he was MOST bouyed by the presence of so many volunteers who came to transport furniture--to the dumpster or to storage. Volunteers cleaned micro-fridges, cut and hauled out ruined carpets, tore out sheetrock, power-washed mud, mud, mud.

Andrew, our son, worked Thurs and Saturday. I worked Thurs-Sat and then again today (Monday 13 July). I prayed again with the owner who shared that his emotions were up and down--from at peace to depressed. I guess that is understandable. He is overwhlemed and fatigued.

The pool is still full of mud. The number of flooded vehicles has fallen by over half, but 3-4 still remain. Overwhelming is an apt description.

How would you feel?

When, not if, disaster strikes you, how will you respond?

When that happens, I pray that you will have many friends who will come around you and help you. I pray that many will pray with you and lift you before out Father, G^d.

Which reminds me. We just got off a Zoom prayer meeting where we were praying for a good friend and ministry colleague whose wife was just diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor.

Kind of helps put things into perspective, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment