Sunday, August 16, 2020

Moving--but not us

A couple of our good friends moved on Saturday up to Birmingham, only about an hour and 15 min NE. We were a bit honored to be engaged in helping, since we aren't members of their congregation, and haven't really done but a few things socially with them. But, it is an honor to be asked to help.

Last Wednesday, I (Phil) helped take down and load some big mirrors and pictures. We carefully packed those, then moved a bigggg matress and box springs to the garage, cleaned under the back porch, and packed a few things.

Friday was much more demanding. Brenda ferried an auto up to their new place, and I loaded my truck with one of his two ATVs, added a bicycle and a few odds and ends, then hitched up to a very large trailer. 

Just before 1030 we headed out with me leading and Brenda watching for problems. We made it to the gate of their community relatively uneventfully. At the gate the guard advised me that pulling a trailer I should have used the service entrance.

Who knew?

Never the less they let us through the gate--which is all that mattered to me.

After a few tries I gave up trying to back the trailer into a quite convoluted lower driveway. We waited a while for our moving couple who had gotten stuck in traffic that we had avoided with a warning from our GPS. The husband decided not to try to back the trailer in either, but he did end up backing it out. Not much fun to be had there either.

We helped unload my truck and trailer and their sedan. Then we had to drive the now-empty trailer back to his brother's home.

I was a bit shocked at how much that ordeal wore me out! I had pulled rental trailers, and even my own trailer quiet a bit, but it was a lot different pulling a borrowed trailer full of delicate plants.

I was whipped!

But, there is a great pleasure in helping a brother in Christ, whether his motel has been underwater, or he simply needs a hand in moving.

Thanks be to G^d that we can serve Him by simply serving one another.  Mk 10:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment