Monday, December 9, 2013

Farewell Party ...

TIA,  remember?  This is Africa.

I went to the farewell party honoring a colleague who is retiring from UB after 20 years here (he did 20 in Nigeria before coming here).  I was being fare-welled also, as this was my last week here.

I was told to come a bit late, because it is a braai (cookout).  It was supposed to start at 1700, so I got there about 1745... to find no one.

Our farewell party had been totally forgotten by the key guy responsible. I texted my boss and a couple of other folks.  Hmm... TIA.

The braai finally started at about 2000, with food served about 2045.


 (This is a pict of Proff Onyewadume demonstrating how women dance.  ??)

Out of 15 faculty members we had 7 there, which wasn't bad considering the late hour.  We had food for about 30.  The food was good, with a nice braai taste.

There was some conversation, but no speeches, no comments, just food and a little conversation.  We gave it up at about 2300.

It seemed a bit low key and anti-climatic.  I am guessing everyone was tired from the end of the term, exams, and all the other little things that go with it.

Saying goodbye is always a bit uncomfortable.  We are looking forward to being back with our family and friends in the USA.

Farewell Botswana!!



No comments:

Post a Comment