Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Faith I

The riddle does not exist. If a question can be put at all, then it can also be answered. ” said Ludwig Wittgenstein, who some consider the greatest philosopher of the 20th century.

Well, here is a riddle:  How would we possibly know that every question can be answered?

Philosopher Wittgenstein was doubtlessly a man of great faith.  He had apparently great faith in man's ability to answer questions, despite that every question begets more questions, in what seems an expansion of ignorance rather than knowledge.

Think about it.  Before there was knowledge of molecules and atoms, we knew a lot.  As soon as the atom is identified, we immediately have questions about its structure.  Then we identify protons, neutrons, and electrons, which beget yet more questions.  Let me assure you, particle physicists are NOT about to learn themselves out of a job.  There are more physics questions than ever before.

I am NOT a philosopher.  I have never even HAD a course in philosophy.  Who am I to question the statement of one of the world's most learned men?

I guess that is just a riddle, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment