Sunday, February 9, 2014

Swedish Snow

Last blog i wrote about our snow fall in Alabama.  At that point, all I had done was sit in my second-story office and wathced the snow fall on campus.  I saw hordes of students out on the huge quad having a major snowball fight.

My daughter Anna and our grandson Jem struggle to get home, so they stop by the office to let the traffic clear a bit.  Apparently EVERYONE sent their workforce home at about the same time.


It's no problem for me. I can work at my computer regardless of the snow.  After a couple of hours, Anna and Jem want to head for home, so we all head for our cars.  It really hasn't dawned on me that my car was parked with NO snow, and now it has a couple of inches covering every flat surface.

Now let me tell you about typical southeastern USA snow.  Here are a few descriptors:

  • Usually comes in later Spring- March is popular
  • Usually comes at night due to the lower temperatures
  • Usually melts very quickly
  • Usually is very wet  snow.

Most of these are due to the warm temperatures that characterize this section of the country, even in late January.  Today is different, and I notice it as soon as I get to my car.  The snow is dry!  Go figure.  Never seen this... in Alabama.  This is Swedish snow.  I am guessing it didn't make good snowballs.

When I get home, I am able to sweep all the snow off both our cars using a broom!  Go figure.  Dry snow.  Dry snow means cold snow.  We have had an unusually long run of unusually cold weather.  Dry snow.


This global warming is freezing me. (Before you take the time to explain to me that weather and climate are two different things, go sweep your sidewalk.)

No comments:

Post a Comment