Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Money, Money, Money

Our culture, and much of the world, is fascinated by ways to obtain more money.  poor people, rich people, and that huge US middle class shares the Montgomery Burns (rich guy on The Simpsons) concept,

"I'd give up all my wealth... for just a little bit more".

Greed is universal and a powerful force.  As I have written before, greed is a constant struggle.  I wrote two years back about being so greedy even in little things like gathering pecans fallen from the trees on campus. 

I am not the only greedy one.  As we travel the world we see greed played out by the rich and poor alike.  Everyone wants to be rich, me included.  It is hard to overcome.  Yet, Scripture is quite clear, 
 "Do not toil to acquire wealth; be discerning enough to desist."  Prov. 23:4

It can be done, even by you and me.  Even Esau, the one who is best known for "despising his birthright" was able to succeed.
Gen 33:9 is a report on Esau's speech, "But Esau said, “I have enough, my brother; keep what you have for yourself.”

May G^d grant us all the grace "to desist".   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment