Friday, August 8, 2014

Pay Raise!



We just today received word on our pay raises for next year.  I count myself fortunate to get a raise, considering that many folks haven’t had raises in a while, or maybe not expecting one this year.
I feel that I am well paid, in fact, I tell folks from time to time that, “I am the only over-paid prof at UA”.  I am surprised at how few people seem to appreciate the implications of that gag.  Oh well.

I do consider myself Blessed financially. I wear no tie, often wearing jeans in cold weather or shorts in hot weather.  I can bike to work.  We have a shower just down the hall from my office. I get much more time off than most folks.  I am not telling you this to make you envious, I am merely recognizing what G^d hath wrought.

One of the Scriptural directives is that addresses pay is, “Soldiers be content with your wages”. (Lk3:14)  I count myself a soldier in many ways.  I am content.  It's not much of a sacrifice, but I am content with my wages, and recognize all we have is a gift from G^d.  Thanks be to G^d for all.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I predicted this would happen.

    Back when Bentley got elected, I told Tina, "You just wait and see. Bishop will pulls some strings, do some arm-twisting, work the political machine and get a raise. You know how he is." Shameful really.

    I just wish we could get such a sophisticated lobbying system in South Carolina as the Bishop Method is in Alabama.

    Seriously, though, congrats. I hope it was more than just a membership in the Jelly of the Month Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously from the comments, raises are rare. The rarity of these events makes them cause for genuine celebration. L^rd make us good stewards of these manifold blessings!

    ReplyDelete