Thursday, January 15, 2015

How Oxygen Explains Money

One of my long-time friends used to say, "Money is like oxygen, you need at least a little to stay alive."

My friend was correct, but I don't think he realized how correct he was.

I speculate this because few people realize that too much oxygen, like too much money, is poisonous. If you have ever hung around hospitals for any reason you may have noticed that they don't want people to be on 100% oxygen too long. This is because 100% oxygen causes oxygen toxicity, which particularly damages the central nervous system, the eyes and the lungs. So a little exposure to 100% O2 saves your life, but too much oxygen can be deadly.

We don't all recognize the dangers of oxygen or money in high concentrations.  But both are very dangerous.  We must have a little, as my friend said, but if we have too much we are in danger.

I struggle with greed.  It is getting better, but I have to be on guard.  I make a very good salary, and our expenses are much lower than they have been since we started having children.  My mind still jumps to ways to make more money, but too much money, I know, is dangerous.

The good news is that I am remembering this more and more often.  As Martin Luther says, "You can’t stop birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from making a nest in your hair.”

We cannot stop the birds from flying overhead.  I cannot stop the impulse, but I can keep it from taking charge of my life.  In 2 Peter it says, "By what a man is overcome, by that he is enslaved."  We know too that "the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil things." (I Tim 6:10).

Greed is a terrible thing.  But we serve an Awesome G^d who can, by the Holy Spirit indwelling us, give us victory in the Christ, by His power.

"I believe, L^rd help my unbelief".


No comments:

Post a Comment