Thursday, February 23, 2017

Haters Gonna Hate

At the time of this writing, it is mid-January, before the inauguration of President-elect, Donald Trump.  For those around the world, the bitter divide between Clinton-supporters and Trump-toleraters, is deep and clear.

One of the charges leveled against Mr. Trump is that he is sexist, and some say racist.  Some of his opponents express their profound intolerance of Mr. Trump's alleged intolerance.

This presents an interesting conundrum.  If I HATE people who appear biased against certain groups, am I not committing the same sin as they?  Perhaps I should say it again.  If, as a Hispanic (in Spanish countries, my name would be "Bishop de Diaz"), I am deeply angered by those with prejudice against Hispanics, am I not equally guilty of the same thing they are doing?

This presents a mental challenge.  Isn't it just WRONG to be racist, or sexist, or anti-gay?  It seems that way, but how I deal with this issue is important.  In combating it, I can commit it.

The title of this post is an example.  A slogan arising in the last 8-10 years is, "Haters Gonna Hate".  Don't you just hate that?  But, if I hate Haters, doesn't that make me a Hater too?

Yes, but being on my side of the hating makes it okay- at least to me.  Ah, so I get to decide who is worthy of being hated and who is not.  Pretty biased and arbitrary isn't it?

Hmmm.

Another old slogan from the past, "What would Jesus do?"

Jesus was hated to the point of crucifixion.  How did He respond?

I suggest we think about that.  Hard to go wrong, trying to imitate Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment