Monday, February 13, 2017

What’s That?



I learned as a young naval officer that communications is a KEY to leadership.  That was about 47 years ago, and over the years I have seen the truth of that dictum. 

I have been in several leadership positions.  I have probably seen that principle of good communications illustrated most clearly in POOR communications.  Poor communications, assumptions, misunderstandings, cause lots of problems.

A second, related, principle of leadership also came from my time with the military, when I worked with the Marines.  They had a saying, “When we assume something, it makes an ‘ass’ out of “u” & “me”.  And oft times assumptions arise from bad communications.

I was just, in the past few minutes, involved in a personnel issue that seems to have arisen from poor communications and assumptions.  I suspect that my student lost some sleep, and worried needlessly due to the communications glitch.

One simple phone call, that involved clear communications, seems to have resolved the issue.  We shall see.

So, if you want to make things go simpler and better. Practice good, clear, honest communications, and, don’t make assumptions.


Is my communication clear?

1 comment:

  1. Communication! Now there is a subject that got left off the high school core curriculum! My wife and I both have ADHD, we are both great speakers but, terrible listeners...Many times wisdom is best served when communication is left to a hug and a smile;)...Words can be over rated for some of us..LOL...

    ReplyDelete