Thursday, August 17, 2017

Sometimes you can spot a star

Brenda and I were at Laguna Beach Christian Retreat Center in May.  We were on the west end of the beach, where the tourist density is much lower and the the crowd decidedly more Christian in approach. As is our habit, we watched what was going on around the white sand and waves.

We noticed one young man with his little 6 year-old son. The son was obviously athletic even at that young age. He ran fast and dived into the waves like someone several years older. His dad was clearly fit and perhaps an athlete as well. His mom had the posture of a former gymnast, and those who have spent much time around gymnastics know the look.

We observed them for a couple of days and smiled and nodded when we walked past. Finally, I asked him, you are obviously physically fit, how do you stay in shape?"  He laughed and said, "I work for my wife and do what she says!"

"Keep it up!" I replied, "Whatever she is telling you is working!"

The next day, Brenda and I again smiled and waved at the two young boys.  The man now posed the question to me, "what do you do?" he asked.

"I teach Exercise Physiology."

"Where?"

Well for 32 years I taught at U of AL."

"Yeah, I went there to school." he said proudly.

"What field of study?" I inquired.

"Consumer Science, but mostly football."

"Oh yeah?"  "Did you play?"

"Yeah, I played 2002-2005."  "He was quarterback." his wife added.

"Yeah, my name is Brodie Croyle." he finally admitted.

If that name means nothing, google him.  He was an outstanding quarterback for UA, and his dad John was an All-American player under Bear Bryant.  His dad went on to start Big Oak Childrens's Ranch up near Gadsden, and Brodie, his wife, and Brodie's sister are now the operators of this famous and successful mission to homeless kids.

Sometimes you can spot a star, not just a star in sports, but a star in life.  And, we did.


No comments:

Post a Comment