Tuesday, November 28, 2017

An Exegetical Question on Evangelism

I was recently in a discussion with a dear Christian friend about evangelism.  I do NOT have the gift of evangelism.I FULLY understand its importance, its necessity, its preeminence in Christianity.  But that last bit, why is evangelism preeminent in the American Christian Church?

In my conversation, I related two passages of Scripture near and dear to my heart.  The first is Luke 10:25-37, and the second is the familiar story in Mark 10 and Luke 18, that we know as "The Rich Young Ruler" story.

The common point in BOTH stories is that the two key players (behind Jesus of course) come to Jesus and ask him pointedly, "What must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Any trained evangelical in the USA would respond to such a question by sharing, "The Four Spiritual Laws (now called KGP - Knowing G^d Personally)", or "The Bridge Illustration", or, "The Roman Road to Salvation". But, take notice, Jesus did NOTHING remotely similar to these.  Instead he asked the lawyer, "What does the Law say?" and when the Lawyer responded with, "Love the L^rd your G^d with all your heart, soul mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself", Jesus did NOT correct him, but merely responded, "Do this and you will live!".  Odd answer??  No, Jesus is saying that IF you could keep the law, you would inherit eternal life... but an honest and accurate response is, "L^rd keeping the Law is impossible, what's another option?"

When the Rich Young Ruler asked the same question, Jesus said, "Keep the Commandments!".  "All these I have kept from my youth up!", the young man replied.  One more thing you lack, said Jesus, sell all you have and give it to the poor, and come follow me...".  And the young man went away sad, for he had much wealth!

I gave those two stories as evidence that Jesus came to heal the spiritually sick, but those who were "perfect" already had NO need for a Savior.

My Christian buddy responded by summarizing three parables: one about a shepherd who left the 99 sheep to seek the lost sheep, one about the woman who lost 1 of her 10 coins and searched for it, and the last one, The Prodigal Son, where a man had two sons, and lost one temporarily.  My friend's point was that these parables ALL underscore the need for evangelism.  I know those stories, but have a wholly different interpretation.

In my view, the sheep refer to those following Jesus already, the lost coin, could be the same, but the Prodigal Son was a son!!  So, I think these parables all MIGHT speak to our diligence is seeking to rescue someone who is a Believer, but who has wandered from the fold.  Each of these parables seems more closely related to restoration of Christians into fellowship, not evangelism.

So what's your view??


1 comment:

  1. I think Jesus was pretty smart! I can see that it is for us to make sure the lost have a way to be found (telling others about The Christ) and for us to help those who are already sons and daughters but who have strayed to come back into the fold. Aren't both worth rejoicing over?

    ReplyDelete