Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Growing older...and older...and...

I have now passed my 68th birthday anniversary! Whew, never thought about this.Any ideas I may have harbored about "not really that old" are now surrendered. I am old, and yes, really that old. My body is failing, bit by bit. My mind, likewise, is not as agile as it was once.

Some wiseacre has said, "It's not the years it's the mileage that counts!" Well, I am not sure that works for cars, but it sure doesn't apply to bodies. I have a lot of age, PLUS a lot of miles. I have no idea how many trips to Europe I have made. If I count carefully, I think I have made 4 trips to Africa and probably about that many to the Middle East. I have made lots of trips to Central America, and maybe 4 or 5 to South America. Plus I have made a few trips to the far East, plus once to Australia, several to the Azores, and once to Cyprus. We have been to Canada lots and crossed the USA on occasion. Plus I have run, walked and biked quite a few miles over these 68 years. Whew, makes me tired just recalling these.

And then there is the age thing.  Sixty-eight is a lot of years, a lot of trips around the sun (even more miles)! That's a lot of Mondays, and Saturdays! That's a lot of running, hunting, talking, writing, thinking, even praying!

But even with an abundance of miles and years, that is NOT the substance of which life is made! No, G^d created us for relationship. He created us foremost for a relationship with Him, and secondarily for relationships with a spouse, children, friends, neighbors.

And, that has been the BEST part, by far, of these 68 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment