Monday, March 26, 2018

Heaven Can('t) Wait

My Friend Dan, told the story in a sermon of the old evangelist, John Rice. Rice was giving a revival in North Carolina, and was know for speaking against tobacco. When he arrived in one NC town, some local ruffians took offense at Rice's objections to  tobacco and they grabbed Rice and threatened to kill him.  Allegedly, Rice responded to their threats, saying, "If you think you can threaten me with heaven, you got another thing coming!"

Now there is a man with his mind in the right place. I can fully comprehend non-Christians being apprehensive of death and what might lie beyond the grave, but us Believers have NO basis for fear of death! In fact, the temptation for us should be that we would want to leave this old earth before all our G^d-given tasks are done.

I am pretty unclear on exactly what heaven may be like, but I am absolutely sure it will be a huge step-up from this old earth-- and keep in mind that I have lived a pretty nice life!

My hypothesis is, most of us, including Believers, are pretty sure about the here and now, but that sweet-by-and-by isn't certain at all. Hence we prefer the life we know to the one we don't, despite the promises of heavenly bliss.

We believe L^rd, help Thou our unbelief!

No comments:

Post a Comment