Thursday, March 1, 2018

Life Review: Automobiles

My FIRST vehicle was a 1967 Chevy Pickup with a camper shell on the back.  My Dad gave it to me as a graduation gift, in 1971, at the start of my senior year at the USNA (you could not have cars before your senior year).  That truck was awesome and we were crushed when the truck was crushed by someone who ran a stop-sign and t-boned us.  That was about 1975 or 76.

In San Francisco in 1973 Brenda and I bought a 1969 (I think) Toyota Corona which we drove back across country to Pensacola, FL.  I remember towing that little white Toyota up to Doug's place in MD where we left it whilst we went to Rhode Island for schools to which the Navy had sent me.

We had an old Chevy full-size van in which we modified the to give more like "in-the-round" seating and toured in all over the central USA.  We also had a "woody" station wagon which a lady t-boned in Northport, within a mile of our home.

All, 100%, of our autos have been used.  I think $6000 is the most we have paid for one. We usually carry only liability insurance, with $1000 deductible. We drive them until they are used up, or maybe a bit passed that, and then donate them and deduct whatever they are valued from our taxes. If we need to make a long trip, for the last few years we have simply rented a car.

I say all this to illustrate our view of economy.  Perhaps someone has found a more economical approach to driving, but if they have, I wish they'd share with me. Many folks identify with their auto, so I understand that most folks want to drive something pretty nice. When we drive a rental, I get to enjoy the latest gadgets, and cruise control with radar is pretty neat. I am not a good driver (ADHD), so that gadget may be especially useful for me.

I have a VERY strong aversion to "wasting" anything, including money, so I approach everything with economy in mind.  I do the same with time. I hope I am a good steward of the manifold gifts G^d has given me. By economizing we are able to give away considerable sums of money, with no pain.

Scripture tells us that "every good and perfect gift is from above...", and so I want to recognize these as gifts from G^d.  And, He has been generous indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment