Monday, February 26, 2018

Life Review: Immigrants

My mother's father, my abuelo, immigrated into South Florida from La Zona de Monte Cristo, La Havana, Cuba early in the 20th century. He was a restaurateur... and a professional gambler.  When my mom was about 9, her father was killed by a hit-and-run driver in Miami.  It is unknown whether or not he was murdered, or an accident victim, but my mom and her two brothers lost their dad, regardless.

Mom's mom, probably overwhelmed by the sudden loss, and lacking resources, sent my mom, and younger brothers, Ramon, and Manuel to a Masonic orphanage in St. Petersburg.  Mom's mother remarried, had another son, and when that husband died, ended up marrying a third time to the only grandfather I ever knew on her side, Johnny Phillips, for whom I was named.

On the day of my mother's funeral, all 5 of us sons were sitting around the old family living room chatting.  It dawned on me that my Mom, being the oldest had an Anglo name, Mary, whereas her two younger siblings had Latino names, because of their Cuban heritage.  I asked my brothers about this oddity.

My older brother, Doug, quickly explained it. "Her name wasn't Mary, it was Maria!"

And of course that makes perfect sense. My uncle Ramon was called "Raymond"Manuel, was called "Man-u-el" (not much way to Anglicize that one).  So, Maria was called "Mary".

But isn't it a bit odd that I never knew that until the day of her burial?

In the early part of the 20th century, many immigrants wanted to quickly assimilate into US culture (if there is such a thing).  Whereas I understand the impetus, I find it sad that my Mom lived her life under the wrong name.  I wish too, for selfish reasons, that my Mom and her sibs had been Spanish-speakers.

I am extremely proud, perhaps excessively so, of my Cuban roots. I love hearing people's heritage stories. I find people from different cultures to be fascinating, and am probably too aggressive in seeking those stories.  Perhaps that explains why I have such an affinity for Jewish culture.

Christians owe our existence to the Israelite nation. Our creation was from Jews, and our Messiah was definitively Jewish. I revel in Jewish things, and eat more kosherly than many modern Jews. I have a mezzusah on my door, and own two kippas and a prayer shawl (tallit). I know the first of the "Shema" and all of the shehecheyanu.

So, I am proud of my Cuban roots, and my Judaic ones too.  Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment