Thursday, February 15, 2018

Life Review: Siblings

I grew up in a family of 5 boys.  I had one more older brother, who died at 18 months or so, which was not all that unusual in the late 1930's.  My older brother Doug is 7 years older than me, and so, according to the folks who are supposed to know of these things, I am a "first" born, even though I am third born. My brother David is only about 18 months younger than me, so we were only one grade apart, and were pretty good buddies all through youth and High School. My next brother Danny was 7 years younger, and Patrick, I think is 10 years younger.  Not that everyone references his birthdate to mine, but this sets the age range easily.

To my knowledge we had a pretty ordinary, southeastern USA experience. As I have mentioned before, our little town was quiet, and "dry". We never got in much trouble, and generally we got along pretty well.  It strikes us as a bit odd when we run into fractured families with some siblings refusing to speak to others.

We all participated in some sports including a bit of American football, some track and field.  David and I wrestled on the same team, with some success.

We have had a few brother-inspired reunions.  Our first was in the Okefenokee swamp, and we did another a Myrtle beach.  Out last one, was a few years back in Murphy, NC, when Doug lived there.  We communicate mostly through email these days, and through facebook.

We have been mostly professional educators. In fact, it occurs to me that it is likely pretty unusual that 4 of 5 of brothers have been chiefly professional educators. I am guessing that we are a very small % of the population to have such similar professions.  We have also mostly all stayed in the SE USA.  Doug worked in MD for several years, but at his first opportunity he moved south.  Doug and I both went to the same undergrad program, and we both earned doctoral degrees.  David and Patrick have Masters degrees.  I am guessing that is a bit unusual too.

Though we have similar professions, we have no shortage of differences.  They are too numerous to enumerate here, but trust me, there are plenty.

It is comforting to have three brothers who I can call on in a pinch.  It is also comforting to have Christian bothers who we could also call on in a pinch.

G^d has blessed me, and really all of us, in a great many ways, and my brothers are one of those blessings.  Thanks be to G^d.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment