Monday, February 5, 2018

Some Thoughts on Being Rich

I just last month taught Chapter 15 of the book, Befriend the Rich and Powerful by Scott Sauls. I didn't think he got to say, in that brief chapter, all that needed to be said.

Most all, actually all, of the men in the Bible study were rich, by the metric most of the world counts wealth. So, of all the chapters in the book, this might be the KEY one.

Scripture has a LOT to tell us on this topic:
Most familiar is 1 Tim 6:  9But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

But there’s plenty more…

Lk 18: 22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 23 But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. 24 Jesus, seeing that he had become sad, said, “How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! 25 For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” 27 But he said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” 

Lk 12   13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” 14 But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” 15 And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” 16 And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, 17 and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ 18 And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ 21 So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”

Matt 6:19-21
19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust[a] destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.]

Lk 12: 15 And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” 16 And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, 17 and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ 18 And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ 21 So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”
48 b Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.


Keep in mind, G^d has befriended the rich many times in Scripture:
Foundational= Abraham, Job, Solomon, David...
Christian = Zaccheus, Rich young ruler, Nicodemus, Joseph of Arimethea

Two Qs:
1  1)      What do Scriptures tell us about how to live as rich people?
2  2)      What will we do to befriend our rich acquaintances, neighbors, etc.  How do we minister to them?
         Matt 16:26- What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul?  Or what will a man give for a soul?


 You, like most foIks, are probably denying that you are wealthy, but most likely you are.  You have enough money to live on, plus some extra for vacations, and other little luxuries.  No reason to be afraid to admit it.    Take a look at these instructions:

Conclusion:
I Tim 6: 17 As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 18 They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19 thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.

No comments:

Post a Comment