Monday, February 12, 2018

Absolutely Sure There are NO Absolutes!!

I love a good self-contradiction.  It seems there are plenty to go around right now.  Many of my friends are absolutely sure that there is NO absolute TRUTH!! If someone suggests that "Thous shalt not kill", they will insist that this is NOT true, and that a woman's right to autonomy says she can kill.

Likewise, as I have previously noted, many of these same folks are ABSOLUTELY sure that parent-administered corporal punishment is absolutely wrong!

And now my relativistic friends are not only absolutely sure that Harvey Weinstein should go straight to the non-existent hell, they are sure that "Fake News" is pervasive.  But, if there are NO absolutes, as my friends exist, how can any information be "fake" it can only be one person's perspective based on his own post-modern experiences.

I know the conservatives have also cried about "fake news", but at least for most conservatives, there is such at thing as "truth" and in the case of untruth, "fake" news complaints make some sense.

Now, sometimes readers are enraged by my viewpoints on this type of thing, and I understand. I am just a bit perplexed about when things can be absolute, and when they are merely relative. I am not a post-modernist, but I can sympathize, I simply cannot resolve the inconsistency.

Perhaps someone out there can explain it.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment