Monday, March 5, 2018

Life review: Childhood

I only recall small bits of childhood.  I do not know if this is normal, as I have a sample of one- me. I do recall building forts, and throwing rocks.  I recall camping out in the backyard and a little later, in the woods behind our house.

I recall being worry-free, playing sports in the yard and school sports.  I recall swim practice, and fishing and squirrel hunting.  As a high-schooler, Mr. Mark Hitt took a bunch of us deer hunting in the North GA mountains, and that was a big deal.

I recall floating the Etowah River in my aluminum canoe with a gang of buddies and brother David, and we put our lives at risk to occasionally harvest a duck, but more often a bunch of squirrels.

Our Mom cooked great food- especially desserts, and my Dad reliably provided what we needed. We did chores, but nothing too time consuming, because studying was a high priority in our culture.

We went to Sunday School, morning church and what was known then as Baptist Training union, but typically described as BTU.  Most every church was Baptist or Methodist, and my one Roman Catholic friend had to go almost to Atlanta for Mass. One of my best friends was Presbyterian, but I didn't understand that to be any different from Baptist.

Our family was a bit atypical of rural Southern families with minimal education, in that we pretty much assumed we were going to college, and never thought of any alternative.

We pretty much grew up in the arch typical small southern environment.  It was pretty much idyllic, and a person getting drunk was noteworthy.  Everyone knew everyone, and why would anyone want to live anywhere else?

Ahhhh, what a life?

No comments:

Post a Comment