Thursday, June 13, 2019

Another Scripture that needs an Emoticon

In our weekly men's Bible study this AM (May 22), we discussed the Woman w the demon-possessed daughter in Mark 7.  Here's the KEY part of the passage, "25 But immediately a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit heard of him and came and fell down at his feet. 26 Now the woman was a Gentile, a Syrophoenician by birth. And she begged him to cast the demon out of her daughter. 27 And he said to her, “Let the children be fed first, for it is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs. 28 But she answered him, “Yes, Lord; yet even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs.” 29 And he said to her, “For this statement you may go your way; the demon has left your daughter.” 30 And she went home and found the child lying in bed and the demon gone.

Now, what do we make of this strange encounter? Think about it a bit, then if you want, take a look at some commentaries. One feminist uses this passage to argue that Jesus wasn't sinless- just look at how he treated that woman! (I advise you to NOT stand close to this woman for fear of lightening strikes!) Other commentators focus on the dogs, probably as a diversion.

In MY UNeducated view, this is a GREAT passage with much to teach, and this woman is one of my Scriptural HEROES!

Jesus Knew the woman and her heart and what she would answer (Jn 2:24,
But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people. See also Jn 5:6, 6:64). Jesus gives the woman what we take to be an insult, but knowing Jesus, this was said with a wink or a smile, or both (why we need emoticons in Scripture). Now look at the woman's reply.

She is NOT insulted, angered, or discouraged. She acknowledges her lowly state in the presence of The Christ, and merely, humbly asked again in agreement with Jesus' assessment. And her daughter's problem is corrected by Jesus (v 29).

The Holy Spirit in this passage gives us a GREAT response to insults and criticisms. We simply agree and go on. On only 2 occasions in my recollection have I done this myself and both went well. 

Once, a salesman tried to close the deal on my purchase of a time-share. When I declined, he remarked, "I thought you were smarter than that!"

"Don't worry about it", I replied, "People make that mistake all the time." 

I was so happy that my oldest son was with me and got to see one of my few victories.

Now, perhaps I am wrong about the passage, but I feel pretty confident about my own take-away. I just wish there was an emoticon with this encounter with Jesus.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment