Thursday, June 27, 2019

Back in the TROUT stream again

It has been several years since I took Davey, middle son, trout fishing in North GA to celebrate his graduation from UA. I was over-joyed when he picked that as his celebration trip, and we had a great time, though he didn't catch much. Trout fishing is more of a skill than I had realized.

I got to return to trout fishing the first part of this month. One of my favorite all-time buddies, Chuck Carson and I did some fishing in the streams of N. GA. Due to rain and more rain, we only really got to fish one day. We started on the lower Tallulah River, near Tallulah River Campground.  The water was deep and rough, and sporadic rain made fishing pretty challenging. Nevertheless, we each caught 5 trout and I kept the 3 biggest of mine and Chuck kept two of his. My first trout was a big rainbow who pulled and pulled against my light spinning rod. Fortunately, I remembered some of my trout experience and led him onto a rocky bar where he came off the hook, but I didn't lose him. I think my next fish was a native rainbow about 5 inches long. Then I caught a large brown who jumped maybe three times.  What a thrill. I caught another big rainbow and then a smaller one which I released.

After 3+ hours, we grew tried of fighting the steep banks and moved upstream to a place that was HARDER to fish. This was the steepest stretch of trout water I had ever tried to fish. It was almost one continuous low waterfall.  Chuck found one hole and caught three fish, and I didn't find much of any place to fish and caught none.

From there we moved upstream to a stretch of river that was exactly the type I love to fish. The river at this point was shallow and it could be easily waded across at any point--a total change from what we had seen to this point. We each kept a trout or two out of this section, giving us a total of 12 good trout.  Here they are:
One good thing about trout is that they are easy to prepare for the table. That afternoon that's what we did. Brenda and I look forward to 3 good meals.

Thank you L^rd for the beauty of the trout stream, the beauty of trout, the joy of fellowship with a brother in Christ, and for the taste of N. GA trout!

No comments:

Post a Comment