Monday, July 1, 2019

Life Review: Friends

 I have had a number of great friends over my lifetime. On eof the most memorable was WCZ- I NEVER was able to show him the TRUTH of the Gospel, despite HOURS of conversation. A lack of effort and low expectations on my part were to blame.

Minor Success: One day in my office, I was sitting alone, working on something. My close atheist friend, WCZ, bursts into my office without knocking, plops into my guest chair, and rests his elbow on top of the Bible that my parents gave me in 1957. WCZ was in the midst of a personal crisis of MAJOR proportions. A woman had dumped him. This created a crisis because WCZ was a great looking guy, immaculately groomed, wearing designer clothing and speaking with a British accent in Alabama. WCZ was the DUMPER and clearly NOT the DUMPEE.

As my wife will verify, I have NO compassion arising naturally from any niche of my psyche. I also have NO counseling experience, and had no shred of empathy for such a foreign event. So WCZ emoted for maybe 30 min or so. I had NOTHING to offer him, and sat majorly speechless. Once he finished his tale, just as abruptly got up and departed.

Wow, that was strange, and I had NOTHING whatsoever to say to him or about his strange situation.
A few days later, I received a card from him which said, “Thanks for talking with me. This was the most outstanding display of Christianity I have encountered.”

Twenty-something years later, WCZ told me he had converted to Christianity, again prompted by a female, his fiancee, who refused to marry him until he became Roman Catholic.

Many Profs come to the Christ because in a moment of crisis, they seek help from a trusted Christian friend.

Take heed!

No comments:

Post a Comment