Thursday, July 18, 2019

Life Review: Fishing

I spent much of my youth wading in N. GA trout streams pursuing, with success the beautiful trout. In fact, the ONLY day I ever laid out of school was opening day of trout season my senior year. My parents approved of this delinquency, in part because my dad TRULY loved trout fishing.

Before we could drive, we were largely confined to fishing for bream and bass in the local rivers and ponds. We fished for catfish at night in the golf course creek, and shot large carp with a bow and fishing arrow in Lake Alatoona.

One night we were fishing for catfish on the golf course. There was no place to park, and since it was 11 PM when we started, we parked on a driveway near the creek.

"No adult would be out past 11PM!" we thought...incorrectly.

When we came back, the poor homeowner had called the police and towed our car so they could get in their own driveway. I think it cost my dad $25 to get our car out of impound, but since we were fishing, he never scolded us, even a little.

We ate bream from Coker's pond at the old dairy, and we frog-gigged that pond and several more.

Yep, it was indeed an idyllic youth in many ways.  Thank you L^rd!

No comments:

Post a Comment