Thursday, February 20, 2020

2019-2020 Deer Season in Review

Last deer season was a banner year for Andrew and me. This year was a lot of fun, but not nearly so productive. I killed a total of ONE doe and no bucks.  Andy got 2 does.  Sad eh?

Well, not so fast. We hunt for the harvest, but the lack of harvest is NOT what deer hunting is all about. During the season I edited papers for friends, I wrote, I read. I read several very good books whilst on the deer stand--indeed it is my best reading time of the year, even eclipsing the beach because deer season starts in Oct. and goes until 10 Feb in Alabama.

We saw many beautiful aspects of G^d's creation. Yesterday (24 Jan), I saw a beautiful hawk start hunting 6-8 feet above the ground about 180 yards and he hunted all the way down to myabe 30-40 yards past me. In a memorable hunt in Greene County Andrew and I watched 2 Harris hawks hunting the big field that we shared with them in 3 hunts. Those hawks are patient, so we can learn a bit from them, which brings me to patience.

As of yesterday I think I have hunted 41 times this season, which I suspect is a new record for me. And I only have one deer to show for it? Yes, patience, patience, patience. But taking some time is not a bad thing in our rush-rush-rush world. Sitting quietly watching is probably more therapeutic than I realize. Probably the patience required is more than many modern folks can bear, so sadly, hunting numbers are declining.

But we do have 3 deer in the freezer--which should be enough to get us to next season. As I have explained, venison is probably the HEALTHIEST red meat you can eat. And we do enjoy this lean goodness.

I could talk too about the meditation, but let's not over-sell it. It's kinda nice not having so much competition in deer hunting.

In fact, forget everything I just wrote!

No comments:

Post a Comment