Thursday, February 27, 2020

Preaching Fun Part I

My good friend Dan A is serving as interim pastor at a rural Baptist Church about a half-hour south of Tuscaloosa. He is away for two weekends on a Mission trip to another Baptist church in the Caribbean. Sounds tough eh?

Well, Dan, unaware of my track record as a fill-in preacher, asked me to give 4 sermons on those two weekends. I was THRILLED at the prospect, so I immediately agreed. My motive was/is selfish. I hear from G^d most often whilst I am prepping to teach His word.

I quickly prepped 4 sermons from some passages I love and know pretty well:
1) Parable of the Good Auburn Fan (Lk 10),
2) Lazarus in the bosom of Abraham (Lk 16),
3) Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5, 6, 7), and
4) How to share the Gospel (Lots of Scripts across the Christian Testament).

I got them ready and shipped #1 and 2 to the guy who handles PowerPoint for their congregation. He gently let me know that Dan had JUST given sermons on BOTH those passages.

Back to the drawing board. Pretty quickly I substituted:
1 &2) Sermon on the Mount part 1, and Sermon on the Mount part 2 for sermons 1 and 2.
#3 now became Lk 18:17-30- the story of the Rich Young Fool.

Stay tuned for the rest of the story...

No comments:

Post a Comment