Monday, February 10, 2020

Life review: More on Teaching- Part II

I mentioned last time about how to teach badly but score good student evals. If you are a faithful reader, you know I like to talk about teaching, so here is part II.

Teaching well takes work, vigilance, and energy. I never expected this. I assumed I could learn to teach well, then simply repeat over and over. NOT SO FAST! What happens is that students CHANGE.

I never noticed this until about 2010 or so. I began slowly to realize that there had been HUGE changes in my students. Jokes that had worked literally for years were now inducing tears. Yeah- I have probably told that story.

I just started prepping 4 sermons, a Sunday School class, and a conference wherein I speak 3 or 4 times. It is a LOT of work, but I love doing it. I learn so much in organizing these talks. I do this prep WELL in advance so I can keep my eyes and ears alert to possible useful info to add to the lessons.

And then I hear G^d speak. As I have said before, nothing thrills me more.

The only thing more fun than prepping is delivering the lesson.  Pray for me, as you can see I have a LOT of teaching coming soon.  PRAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment