Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Bastante!

 I have now been retired as a prof for 4 years come July. One of the things that convinced me to retire was the recognition that I had enough money. Yes, enough is enough and we had enough money.

I understand inflation and other aspects of personal finance. One day we may starve or not be able to heat our house or pay other bills. It is possible. But G^d has given enough money and it took me a while to recognize that enough is enough.

I never expected this day, in capitalism, that I didn't need to make, earn, inherit, win any more $$$. I am happy with what G^d has provided. I understand that G^d has blessed me, and perhaps you haven't been blessed to the same degree.

But, there is a lot to be said by deciding you have sufficient money. You don't have to look for ways to earn more. You don't have to be envious of the wealth of anyone. There is a remarkable sense of having enough--bastante.

Sadly, most people in the world never get to this point. As the rich old man on "The Simpson's" tv show said, "I'd give up all my wealth...for just a little more." Most of the people I have met in the USA and in many other countries appear that they will never have enough.

But, I may be slow, but I realized and still know, I have enough.


Thanks be to G^d for bastante.

No comments:

Post a Comment